Sunday, October 10, 2010

My Love for Wolfberries

Share
Wolfberry, aka goji berry, aka KEI JI(cantonese), vibrant red in colour and it taste sweet after a short boil. =)


Seriously these are good in chicken soup, porridge and even white steamed rice! XD I especially love its combination with the angelica root (dang gui). The fragrance, the taste, and of course not forgetting their health benefits, often believed by the chinese culture. And of course, I consume the dried ones.

Here are some benefits of wolfberries:
  1. Improves vision. It contains zeaxanthin which concentrates in the macular pigment of the eye, in help to protect the retina. Take very concentrated amount of this if you have serious eye problems. Highly recommended for those who loves to read(24/7) and those facing with screens all day long.
  2. As an antioxidant.With large amounts of beta carotene, lycopene, Vit. C, they are used in the fatty sheaths of the eye and help to protect the eye. Plus help preventing free radical damage or our cells. (we are exposed to radiation everday)
  3. Strengthens weak legs. Calcium, and other minerals, wolfberries have them quite sufficiently for our daily intake. =)
And what about angelica root?
  1. Warming in action.
  2. It nourishes the female essence.
  3. Tonifies blood.
  4. Helps building new blood cells.
  5. Improves blood circulation, ladies, do not consume this if you are having your period. You don't want to lose blood profusely, do you?
They have much more benefits and nutrient content as much as I love these herbs. XD Do google or read up about them from books. My affinity towards herbs started since young, and I never get tired or sick of them. And dealing with the fact that I'm far away from home and used to being pampered with home-cooked meals before I went to university, I had to strive with ways to nourish myself. Some might not bother of what they're eating everyday and some just love fast food and meals prepared outside in shops and cafeterias. Some even survived without eating much due to finance.

Honestly yes I admit, being pampered eating home-cooked meals, almost only, is not very good when comes to survival. But, those are the best. And I thank my mom for being so lovely. For the last two years I had headaches over my meals. I had the thought of surviving on bakeries and dairies to avoid buying meals from the cafeterias, but it is all in vain as I do crave for meat and vegetables, and not fogetting that bakery products make me FAT. And plus, I have a gigantic stomach which acts like a crazy tornadic blender. What I'm trying to say is that I need a lot of food from time to time. If I'm hungry, I'll go dizzy and crazy. LOL

So over the time, struggling to find ways to satisfy both my appetite and body, I started cooking and venturing into the usage of herbs, both eastern and western. Why? Simply because meals with herbs are very easy to prepare, and less time consuming. With those herbs, I can dump them with a chicken drumstick and some cabbages, all in a bowl and off to steaming with some soy sauce. And tara, I get very fragrant, sweet, and tasty meal with white rice for my dinner. =)

Or even, a simple ginger and herbs porridge with some nuts and vegetables. You can add meat if you want to. Well, all in all these two herbs are my main favourites. I do have lots of other herbs to share with you. So, next time, have a nice day. =)

No comments: